Note: all info below may seem complicated at first, but it is just like with math :), it will not be once you understand the details. So please be patient, think it through and email if you have any questions. It is a good idea to let the person who buys your plane ticket read this page (eg. your parents), if it is not you.

This information sheet concerns two separate documents: In what follows "intent" is a key word.

You are from a country whose citizens do not need a visa to enter the Schengen region (and Hungary) as tourists. Tourists are travelers whose intended stay in the Schengen region does not exceed 90 days (and are not travelling for business). But this does not apply to you as you intend to stay in Hungary for more than 90 days, so you have to get a residency permit.

However, you have a choice in where you apply for the residency permit.
As a general Schengen rule, you are expected to obtain your residency permit pre-approved at a Hungarian consulate and get a so called D type visa that comes with it (this is Option 1).
On the other hand, as a Hungarian rule, you have the right to apply for your residency permit in Hungary and thus, from a Hungarian point of view, you do not need to have your residency permit pre-approved and you do not need to have a D type visa (or any visa) to enter Hungary (this is Option 2).

Below you will find details, pros and cons of these two options. Please weigh them carefully before deciding on your course of action, so that you can make an informed decision. Please, read our FAQ section below that concerns travelling around in the Schengen Zone as tourists before coming to Hungary for BSM.

Once you decide on your course of action please FILL OUT THIS FORM

Click for more info: WARNING! Neither of the options above allow for you to enter the Schengen zone, other than in Hungary, in order to do some travelling as tourists and then come to Hungary for your long term stay.
That is: legally you cannot travel around if you have no visa and claim at a non-Hungarian Schengen border that you want to enter for long term stay OR if you enter using your D type visa. This is because in the first case you should have a visa and in the second case your visa is only for passing through other Schengen countries, in order to get to Hungary to pick up your residency permit card from the Immigration Office.

Let me know if you have any questions by emailing to
Please, allow 48 hours for an answer. If you do not get one, do not hesitate to repeat your questions.

Agnes Szilard
associate program director
Budapest Semesters in Mathematics, Budapest