Instructor: Dr. Réka SZÁSZ
Course objectivesThe aim of the course is to give an overview of Mathematics education in Hungary through observing classes in a wide range of schools and reflecting on these experiences. The class will be scheduled in a single 4 hour period, with school visits and seminars on alternating weeks.
Sample schools(The selection of schools will have to be accommodated to the schedule of the course)
- Fazekas Mihály Primary and Secondary School (Fazekas Mihály F.városi Gyakorló Általános Iskola és Gimnázium) with the strongest Math specialty class in Hungary
- Mathematics camps by Lajos Pósa for talented students (the teaching method of the camps is discussed in detail in the DLG course)
- Alternative Secondary school of Economics (Alternatív Közgazdasági Gimnázium)
- Budai Secondary School (Budai Középiskola)
- Zöld Kakas Vocational Secondary School (Zöld Kakas Líceum)
- School of the Blind (Vakok Iskolája)
Sample seminar topics(The selection of the topics will be adjusted to issues arising during school visits)
- The Hungarian School system and the Mathematics Curriculum
- Gifted Education
- Student Interaction in the Mathematics Classroom
- Cooperative Learning
- Differentiated Learning
School visit reports and HW assignments 40%
Lesson Plan 10%
Final Essay 30%
Note: Attendance for this course is a must. Passing the course requires attending at least 75% of classes. If a student misses a lesson observation they will still have to write a report (based on interviews of two classmates about their impressions, and the school.s homepage where available in English).
Practical InformationThe course can accommodate a maximum of 8 students.
The first class will be held on Feb 4 Monday 8-10, and then we will agree on a time based on everyone's schedules. Classes observed will be mostly in Hungarian, but the instructor will translate.